What applications are installed?
Most of the more commonly used Linux applications are pre-installed onto your desktop, these include:
- Text Editors: Emacs, Gedit, Vim, Kate, Nedit, Vi
- Text Processing: Ghostscript, Kile, Latex, LyX, TexMaker
- Internet and email: Firefox, Thunderbird, Skype
- Research: MatLab, R, Python, g3data, netcdf, nco, cdo
- Graphics: DJView, F-Spot, GIMP, Inkscape, KolourPaint, Xfig, gmt
- Office Applications: Libre Office, Adobe reader, JabRef, Okular
- Sound and Video: Audacity, Gxine, PiTiVi, Rythmbox, VLC
- Compilers: gcc, gfortran
Can I make changes to the operating system and install extra software?
The university has a strict policy on not granting administrative rights to users. You can install applications from the ubuntu repository into your own storage area. All requests to make changes that require admin rights should go to:
Mail us at IT.Linux@uea.ac.uk
Let us know :
- Your username (eg abd12hgu)
- Machine name (eg env-12jh.env.uea.ac.uk)
- Which software you want and any relevant web page links.