Prior to using Grace you will need to register for an account. We aim to setup all new accounts within 2 working days.
Linux/Mac OS X
To connect to Grace from a Linux based system using SSH enter the follow command into a terminal session.
Alternatively if you have a UEA Ubuntu system, you can use the connection tool, as outlined on the following page
ssh -XY <username>@grace.uea.ac.uk (This will open a session and set the X forwarding to your local display)
From a Windows system you will need to use an SSH based client like (PuTTy). This is installed on all UEA PC's by default and can be found under the "UEA Network Applications" folder from the start menu. Alternatively PuTTy can be downloaded from the following link.
To configure PuTTY double click on the PuTTy icon, so that the configuration window appears, and follow the example images/text below.
- In the main panel, under Host Name enter grace.uea.ac.uk (Image 1)
- Below that, in Saved Sessions enter grace. (Image 1)
- In the left panel go to Connection > SSH > X11 (Image 2)
- In the right panel under X11 forwarding, tick the Enable X11 forwarding check box (Image 2)
- In the X display location box, enter localhost:0 (Image 2)
- Back under the Session tab in the left panel, click Save
- Click Open, to start the PuTTy session and connect to Grace
- Future sessions can be launched by double clicking the grace entry, from the Saved Sessions list.
These instructions, whilst configuring PuTTy, also configure X11 forwarding, which enables you to open graphical windows from the cluster, on your Windows computer, so you can use Matlab or Stata in a graphical fashion. To do this, you will also need an X server running, such as eXceed or Xming, details on configuring this can be found on the following page.
To copy files from one system to another (Your PC to the Cluster) you must use either; SCP or SFTP. You will most likely need to do this to upload code or data files, which may have been developed on your computer, but now need to be run on Grace. A guide is available from the following page.