connecting from windows
From a UEA Windows Computer Connected to the Campus Network
The UEA Windows desktop should provide all the applications (putty and xming) that are required in order to connect to ADA. If they are not installed you can get them from Software Centre (Application Catalogue).
If you plan to run graphical applications, start Xming
To connect open the Putty (ssh client) application and select ADA from the saved session list then click load then open.
Enter your UEA username and password (it may look like you are not typing your password, this is a security feature).
You should now be connected to one of the ADA login nodes (login01 or login02).
From a personal Windows computer
Don't forget to connect to the VPN first !
If you wish to use ada.uea.ac.uk from a windows computer that is not connected to the UEA network, you will need to ensure that you have installed and configured the following software software.
If you plan to run graphical applications, install Xming. You will need to start the Xming client before connecting to ada using putty
Xming (The X11 server, needed if you want to run graphical applications - eg matlab, or stata). You will need to download the Xming and the Xming-fonts packages. There are installation instructions on the webpage, but the default installation setting will work fine.
Once you have installed Xming, run Xlaunch from the start menu and accept the default values. The default values are :
Multiple windows / Display number 0
Start no client
If you "Save configuration" and save the created ".launch" file to your desktop, you should have an Xlaunch icon on your desktop.
You can double click on the icon, which should invoke Windows firewall to prompt you to "allow" access, click "allow". The firewall prompting will only happen on first launch.
Once Xming has launched correctly, there will be an icon in the system tray (near the clock). Xming doesn't start with a visible window.
Putty (SSH client - normally you will need the 64 bit version). Configure Session Options for future use (you only need to do this once)
▪ Under the SESSION category, in the “Host Name (or IP address)” box type ada.uea.ac.uk (with defaults of port=22 and Connection type=SSH) and type ADA into the “Saved Sessions” box then select Save to save this session for future use. All above settings can be loaded in future by choosing “ADA” then “Load”.
▪ (Optional) If you plan to run graphical applications, in PuTTy, add the following configuration;
▪ Load the above ADA session in the session category
▪ Under the Connection/SSH/X11 category
• Tick “Enable X11 forwarding”
• Set “X display location” to localhost:0
▪ Go back to the session category and Save the config changes
An alternative to Xming and Putty is to use MobaXterm. Install and then select a ssh session, using the address ada.uea.ac.uk